1Dr. Mukherjee A. , 2Gombar V. , 3Dr. Shamsi Y. , 4Dr. Akhtar J
1,2UDAAN – For the Disabled, Lajpat Nagar, New Delhi, India
3Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi, India
4 Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine, New Delhi, India
Corresponding Author * Dr. Arun Mukerjee
M.D. (Medicine), Sr. Consultant in Medicine, UDAAN for the Disabled
Lajpat Nagar 4, New Delhi – 110024, India
Autism is a heterogeneous syndrome caused by significant impairment in three core domains: social interaction, language and range of interests. Despite the general consensus revolving around a developmental onset, little agreement exists around primary causes. At present, the intervention for Autism mainly comprises of rehabilitation therapies and behavior modification techniques. Brahmi (Centella asiatica Linn.), which is an imperative medicinal drug possesses significant medicinal properties, especially those involving cognition. It is one of the prominent herbs for revitalizing the nerves and brain cells. A randomized double blind placebo controlled clinical trial was carried out at UDAAN for the Disabled, Lajpat Nagar, New Delhi, India. This study particularly focuses on the role of Brahmi in managing the symptoms of Autism in children aged 2-10 years.
Keywords: Autism, Centella asiatica, Brahmi,
1. Abrahams, B., & Geschwind, D. (2008). Advances in autism genetics: on the threshold of a new neurobiology. Nature Reviews Genetics, 9(5), 341-355.
2. American Psychiatric Association (2000), Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (4th ed.), Text Revision (DDS-IV-TR), Washington, D.C.
3. Nicholas Lofthouse, 1 Robert Hendren, 2 Elizabeth Hurt, 1, 3 L. Eugene Arnold, 1, 3 and Eric Butter, A Review of Complementary and Alternative Treatments for Autism Spectrum Disorders, Autism Research and Treatment, Volume 2012 (2012).
4. Ali, Sayed Safiuddin, 2010. Unani Advia-e-Mufreda, 4th ed. Qaumi Council Bara-e-Farogh Urdu Zaban, New Delhi, p.74-7 5.
5. Gohil, Kashmira J., Jagruti A. Patel, and Anuradha K. Gajjar. “Pharmacological Review on Centella Asiatica: A Potential Herbal Cure-All.” Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 72.5 (2010): 546–556. PMC. Web. 7 Oct. 2017.
6. Nalini K, Aroor AR, effect of centella asiatica fresh leaf aqueous extract on lerning and memory and biogenic amine turnover in albino rats, Fitoterapia, 1992, 63, 232-237.
7. Hashmidawakhana.co.in. (2017). Brahmi Buti, Manduki, Indian Pennywort, Kharbrahmi Unani Medicine | Herbal Products | Natural Treatment. [online] Available at: http://www.hashmidawakhana.co.in/centella-asiatica-linn.html [Accessed 13 Sep. 2017].