Sri Jayendra Saraswathi Ayurveda College and Hospital, Nazaratpettai, Chennai, India 600123
Address for correspondence: Dr.Usha Patil , M.D., Ph.D. (Ayu.), Associate Professor
Fungal infections are emerging as major threat especially in immune compromised patients in developing countries including India. Availability, effectiveness and cost are the major constraints in effective treatment of fungal infections in modern medicines. Nirundi (Vitex nigundo) is one of the anti-infective medicinal herb mentioned in ayurvedic literature. Antifungal effect of aqueous, ethanol, methanol and chloroform extract of V. nigundo dried leaf powder was investigated against clinical isolates of Candida albicans and Candida tropicalis. It was observed in the study that C. albicans could be effectively inhibited by ethanol, methanol and chloroform extracts while growth of C. tropicalis isolates could be effectively inhibited only by the chloroform extract of the V. nigundo. Results of the study suggest that medicinal plant mentioned in ayurvedic literature V.nigudo has the potential to be developed as antifungal drug.
2. Astanga Hrudia.Cikistasthana.3/30
3. Dharmasiri MG, Jayakody JR, Galhena G, Liyanage SS, Ratnasooriya WD. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities of mature fresh leaves of Vitex negundo. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2003; 87(2-3):199-206.
4. Diaz F, Chavez D, Lee D, Tan GT, Kardono LB, Riswan S et al. Cytotoxic flavone analogues of vitex carpin, from V. negundo. Journal of Natural Products 2003; 66(6): 865-867.
5. Chandramu C, Manohar RD, Krupadanam DG, Dashyantha RV. Isolation, characterization and biological activity of betulinic acid and ursolic acid from Vitex negundo L. Phytotherapy Research 2003; 17(2):129-134.\
6. Tandon V, Gupta RK. Effect of Vitex negundo on oxidative stress. Indian Journal of Pharmacology 2005; 37:38-40.
7. Hu Y, Zhang Q, Hou T, Xin H, Zheng H, Rahman K, Qin L. Estrogen-like activities in Vitex species from China determined by a cell based proliferation assay. Pharmazie 2007; 62:872-875.
8. Sathiamoorthy B, Gupta P, Kumar M, Chaturvedi AK, Shukla PK, Maurya R. New antifungal flavonoid glycoside from Vitex negundo. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters 2007; 17(1):239-242.
10. Zheng CJ, Tang WJ, Huang BK, Han T, Zhang QY, Zhang H et al. Bioactivity-guided fractionation for analgesic properties and constituents of Vitex negundo L. seeds. Phytomedicine 2009; 16 (6–7):560-567.
12. Trease GE. Evans WC. Pharmacognosy. 12th Edition 1983, Published by Bailliere Tindall, London.