^Back To Top
Asstt. Prof. Deptt. of Panchkarma. Dayanand Ayurvedic College, jalandhar. Punjab.
Sandhigata Vata is a disease of the elderly. Life style, excessive weight, trauma and diet deficient in calcium are some of the risk/causative factors. Rooksha Aahar and ativyaama cause vitiation of vaata. It mainly affects weight-bearing joints of the body specially knee, hip, lumbar spine. Being commonest form of articular disorders, sandhigata vata poses a huge hindrance in day to day activities of the sufferer like walking, dressing and bathing etc. The common presentation of the disease is in the form of Shula, Sotha, Vata poornadriti sparsha and difficulty in flexion and extension of the Sandhi. Available treatment options include use of NSAID’s, calcium supplementation and ultimately joint replacement. Here is a case of bilateral knee Osteoarthritis who was advised arthroplasty. After completion of the therapy, significant improvement was seen in pain, swelling, range of movement and walking distance. The patient was successfully managed with internal medication & Janu basti therapy. With increasing towards ayurveda, a large number of patients, after taking allopathic treatment for long durations, are coming to the Ayurveda hospitals and find very good relief. It can be concluded that severe osteoarthritis may be managed with Ayurvedic intervention and use of baahyaparimaarjana chikitsa requires to be exploited to a greater extent owing to its higher safety and efficacy profile.
1. Sprangers MA, De Regt EB, et al. Which chronic conditions are associated with better or poorer quality of life? J Clin Epidemiol 2000; 53(9): 895-907.
2. Chopra A, Patil J, Bilampelly V, Relwani J, Tandale HS. The Bhigwan (India) COPCORD: Methodology in first information report. APLAR J Rheumatol 1997;1:145-54.
3. Hinman RS, Bennel K et al. Delayed onset of quadriceps activity and altered knee joint kinematics during stair stepping in individuals with knee osteoarthritis. Arch Physical Medicine Rehabillitation 2002; 83: 1080–6.
4. Trikamji Yadavji Acharya, Agniveshakrita Charaka Samhita,Chakrapani Commentary. Reprint. Chaukhambha Surbharti Prakashan Chikitsasthan. Varanasi. 2011; 618.
5. Agnivesa, Caraka Samhita by Prof Priya vrat Sharma Vol-II 7th ed. Chaukhamba Orientalia. Varanasi:; 2005: 462.
6. Dr. Madham Shetty Suresh Babu, YogaRatnakara, Purvardham-Vol-I, 2nd ed. Chaukamba Sanskrit Series. Varanasi: 2011;602.
7. Davidson medicine, edited by Brian R walker, Nicki R, College, Stuart H, Ralston, Ian D Penmon, 22nd edition. 2014;1081.
8. Obstetric & Gynecologic diagnosis and treatment edited by Alan H .Decherney & martin L Pernoll 18th Edn: 1036.
9. Gucclcone AA, Felson DT, Anderson JJ, Anthony JM, Zhang Y, Wilson PW, et al. The effect of specific medical condition on the functional limitations of elders in the Framingham study. Am J Public Health 1994;84:351-8.
10. Ringdahl E, Pandit S. Treatment of knee osteoarthritis. Am Fam Physician 2011; 83:1287- 92.
11. Pai XC, Rymer WZ, Chang RW, Sharma L. Effect of age and osteoarthritison kneeproprioception. Arthritis Rheum 1997;40:2260-5.
12. Sri Brahma Sankar Mishra. Bhavaprakasha Nighantu of Bhavamishra, Madhyam khanda, chapter 24 verse no. 259, 12 th edition, Varanasi; Chaukhamba Sanskrit Bhavan.2012:265.
13. Acharya JT. Charaka Samhita of Agnivesha. Edn 1st. Chaukhamba Sanskrit Sansthan. Varanasi; 2011:618.
14. Acharya Y T. Agniveshakrita Charaka Samhita, Chakrapani Commentary Chaukhambha Surbharti Prakashan. Varanasi. 2011; 624.
15. Acharya Y T. Agniveshakrita Charaka Samhita,Chakrapani Commentary, Chaukhambha Surbharti Prakashan. Varanasi: 2010;620.
16. Trikamji Yadavji Acharya, Agniveshakrita Charaka Samhita,Chakrapani Commentary. Chaukhambha Surbharti Prakashan. Varanasi, Reprint 2011;78.
17. Shastri Ambikadutta, Bhaishajya ratnawali by Goving Das. Chaukhamba prakashan. Varanasi; 560.
18. Mishra S N. Bhaishajya Ratnavali of Kaviraj Govind Das Sen. Part I. Chaukhambha Surbharti Prakashan, Varanasi; 2005; 882.
19. Trailokya A, Srivastava A, Bhole M, Zalte N. Calcium and Calcium Salts. Journal of The Association of Physicians of India. Vol. 65; 2017:100-103.
20. Pande G S, Chunekar K C. Bhava Prakasha of Bhavmishra. Chaukhamba Bharti Academy, Varanasi: 2006;212.
21. Pande G S, Chunekar K C. (2006) Bhava Prakasha of Bhavmishra. Chaukhamba Bharti Academy, Varanasi. 2006:521.
22. Dev SA, Selection of Prime Ayurvedic Plant Drugs: Ancient‑modern Concordance. New Delhi: Anamaya Publishers; 2006:113‑117.
23. Kimmatkar N, Thawani V, Hingorani L, Khiyani R. Efficacy and tolerability of Boswellia serrata extract in the treatment of osteoarthritis of knee: A randomized double blind placebo controlled trial. Phytomedicine. 2003:37.
24. Akhtar B, Mahto R R, Dave A R, Shukla V D. Clinical study on Sandhigata Vata w.s.r. to Osteoarthritis and its management by Panchtikta Ghrita Guggulu. AYU; 31/1: 2010; 53-57.
25. Raman K. Pragya S. Janubasti and nadi-swedana in janu sandhigata vata: a case study. International journal of ayurvedic & herbal medicine. 2015; 5(6): 2067-2071.