^Back To Top
1Dr. Patil Rupali, 2Dr. Wadkar Archana
1Assistant Professor, Dept. Of Kayachikitsa, Hon. Shri. Annasaheb Dange Medical College, Ashta, Sangli, Maharashtra
2Associate Professor, Dept. Of Kayachikitsa,Hon. Shri. Annasaheb Dange Medical College, Ashta, Sangli, Maharashtra
Diabetes ‘The Silent Killer’ is projected to be seventh leading cause of death in 2030 as per WHO. Prevalence of diabetes in India also rises rapidly thus, India is considered as Diabetic capital of the world. In long term, patients of diabetes suffer from lot of complications such as Diabetic retinopathy, nephropathy, neuropathy, cardio myopathy etc. In Ayurveda Diabetes Mellitus comes under the umbrella of ‘Prameha’ which is included among the ‘Ashtamahagada’. One of the unique features of Prameha is the involvement of multiple Dooshya’s in its Samprapti. Various Dooshyas related with all the three Dosha’s will manifest in 20 types of Prameha’s. Due to involvements of multiple Doodhya’s there are number of Upadrava’s associated with Prameha. All the Prameha’s if not treated will terminally become Vataja Prameha with definite signs of Dhatushaya and Oja kshaya called as Madhumeha. Thus in present study literary research has been done to study etio pathogenesis, complications of Prameha (Diabetes mellitus) and its Ayurvedic management. Different treatment modalities in Ayurveda will help to prevent the complications of the Prameha and especially Shodhana Chikitsa (Panchakrma) is very beneficial.
Key Words: Diabetic retinopathy, Nephropathy, Neuropathy etc
1. Definition, Diagnosis and classification of Diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1 Diagnosis and classification of Diabetes mellitus(WHO/NCS/99.2)Geneva world health organization,1999
2. Charaka samhita, Vaidya Yadavji Trikamji Acharya, Part-I, Nidan sthan Chapter 4th Choukhambha Sanskrit Prakashana, Varanasi
3. Charaka samhita,Vaidya Yadavji Trikamji Acharya, Part-II, Chikitsa sthan Chapter 6th Choukhambha Sanskrit Prakashana, Varanasi
4. Sushruta samhita , Kaviraj Dr.Ambikadatta Shastri,Part-I,Nidan Sthan chapter 6th Choukhambha Sanskrit Prakahana, Varanasi
5. Sushruta samhita , Kaviraj Dr.Ambikadatta Shastri,Part-I, Chiktsa Sthan chapter 11th Choukhambha Sanskrit Prakahana, Varanasi
6. Sushruta samhita , Kaviraj Dr.Ambikadatta Shastri,Part-I, Chiktsa Sthan chapter 12th Choukhambha Sanskrit Prakahana, Varanasi
7. Ashtang hridaya , Kaviraj Atridev Gupta ,Chikitsa sthan Chapter 12th, Choukhambha Sanskrit Prakashan, Varanasi
8. Harrisons principle of internal medicine 16 th edition 2005
9. Davidson’s clinical medicine, edited by John Macleod;1984;chapter12 endocrine and metabolic diseases, page no 457-465;diabetes mellitus.
10. Clinical Panchakarma Dr. P Yadaiah 3rd edition