^Back To Top
Doshi K. A.1*, Patel M. H.2, Kadambari R. K.3
1*Lecturer, Department of Dravyaguna, IIAPS, Gujarat Ayurved University, Jamnagar, Gujarat, India.
2 Lecturer, Department of Dravyaguna, IIAPS, Gujarat Ayurved University, Jamnagar, Gujarat, India.
3 Student of IIAPS, Gujarat Ayurved University, Jamnagar, Gujarat, India.
Address for correspondence
Dr. Krunal A. Doshi,
Dept. of Dravyaguna,
Indian Institute of Ayurvedic Pharmaceutical Sciences (IIAPS),
Gujarat Ayurved University (GAU),
AK Jamal Building, Gurunanak Road, Jamnagar-361008
Ayurveda describes the use of Kumari (Aloe vera Tourn. ex Linn., Liliaceae) for the management of different disease conditions in classical texts. In this article, an attempt has been made to compile as critically and its information related to Kumari from three samhitas, more than six samgraha granthas, and seven nighantus and other published texts. It is observed that root, leaves juice, extraction of Kumari are used as an ingredient in 267 formulations, which are effective in more than 41 disease conditions. The main indications include kushtha (skin disease), jwara (fever), kshaya (pulmonary tuberculosis), arsha (piles), vrana (wound), striroga (gynecological disorders), prameha (diabetes), pandu (jaundice), daha (burning sensation) etc., different parts of Kumari are used in about 12 dosage forms; such as kvatha (decoction), lepa (paste), avaleha (semi-solid preparations), taila (oil), ghrita (fat soluble preparations), vati (pills), churna (powder), rasa (mineral preparations) & nasya (nasal preparations).
Anonymous. Ayurvedic Formulary of India. Part I, (CD ROM Version 1), Edn II, The Controller of Publication, Dept. of Ayush, Govt. of India, New Delhi, 2000.
2. Doshi Krunal, Acharya Rabinarayan. Therapeutic importance of Eranda (Ricinus communis Linn.) in Ayurveda - a Review. Ayurpharm Int J Ayur Alli Sci 2013; 2(9): 281-295.
3. D. S. Lucas. Dravyaguna-Vijnana. Edn 1st, Vol 2, Chaukhambha vishvabharati, Varanasi, 2008, 430.
4. Pandit Narahari. Raja Nighantu. Indradeo Tripathi, editor, Edn 3rd, Krishnadas Academy, Varanasi, 2003, 113.
5. Kaiyadeva. Kaiyadeva Nighantu. Sharma PV, Guru Prasad Sharma, editors, Edn 1st, Chaukhambha Orientalia, Varanasi, 1979, 648.
6. Bhavamishra. Bhavaprakasha Nighantu. Pandey GS, editor, Edn 1st, Chaukhambha Bharati Academy, Varanasi, 2006, 404.
7. Shaligram Vaishya. Shaligramanighantu Bhushanam. Edn 1st, Khemraj Shrikrishnadas Prakashan, Mumbai, 2002, 316.
8. Jayantilak JP. Sarasvati Nighantu. Kamat SD, editor, Edn 1st, Chaukhamba Sanskrit Pratishthan, Delhi, 2006, 55.
9. Sharma PV. Priyanighantu. Edn 1st, Chaukhambha Surbharti Prakashan, Varanasi, 2004, 104.
10. Bapalal Vaidya. Nighantu Adarsha. Edn II, Vol. 2, Chaukhambha Bharti Academy, Varanasi, 1999, 631.
11. Ibid 3. Dravyaguna-vijnana, 429.
12. J. L. N. Sastry. Ayurvedokta Oushadha niruktamala. Edn 1st, Chaukhambha Orientalia, Varanasi, 2001, 36.
13. Monier Williams. A Sanskrit English Dictionary. Bharatiya Granthh Niketan, New Delhi, 2007.
14. Vaman Shivram Apte. The Student’s Sanskrit-English Dictionary. 13th ed. Motilal Banarasidas Prakashan Private limited, Delhi, 2011.
15. Ibid 3. Dravyaguna-vijnana, 430.
16. Ibid 7. Sarasvati Nighantu, 55.
17. Ibid 6. Bhavaprakasha Nighantu, 404.
18. Ibid 4. Raj Nighantu, 114.
19. Sharangadhara. Sharangadhara Samhita. Srikanta Murthy KR, editor, Edn 4th, Chaukhambha Orientalia, Varanasi, 2001.
20. Vangasena. Vangasena Samhita. Saxena N, editor, Vol. I and II. Edn 1st, Chaukhamba Sanskrit Series office, Varanasi, 2004.
21. Rasavagbhata. Rasaratnasamuchchaya. Shastri AD, editor, Edn 3rd, Chaukhamba Orientalia, Varanasi, 1995.
22. Shadanand Sharma. Rasa Tarangini. Kashinath Shastri, editor, Edn 11th, Motilal banarasidas, Varansi, 2009.
23. Sri Gopal Krishna. Rasendrasarsangraha (Hindi). Satyartha P, editor, Edn 1st, Krishnadas Academy, Varanasi, 1992.
24. Acharya Dhundhuka Nath. Rasendrachintamani.Misra SN, editor, Edn 1st, Chaukhambha Orientalia, Varanasi, 2000.
25. Chakrapanidutta. Chakradutta. Indradev T, editor, Edn 4th, Chaukhamba Sanskrit Sansthan, Varanasi, 2002.
26. Tripathi ID, Tripathi DS. Yogaratnakar. Edn 1st, Krishnadas Academy, Varanasi, 1998.
27. Shri Govind Das. Bhaishajyaratnavali. Mishra BS, Shastri AD, Shastri RD, editors, Edn 19th, Chaukhmbha Prakashan, Varanasi, 2008.
28. Bharatbhaishajyaratnakara. Shah NC, editor, Vol. 1 to 5. Edn 1st, B Jain Publishers, New Delhi, 2005.
29. Bharatbhaishajyaratnakara. Shah NC, editor. Vol. 1 to 5. Edn 1st, B Jain Publishers, New Delhi, 2005. Vruhad nighantu ratnakar.
30. Bharatbhaishajyaratnakara. Shah NC, editor. Vol. 1 to 5. Edn 1st, B Jain Publishers, New Delhi, 2005. Rasa kamadhenu.
31. Bharatbhaishajyaratnakara. Shah NC, editor. Vol. 1 to 5. Edn 1st, B Jain Publishers, New Delhi, 2005. Gadanigrah.
32. Sharma PV. Dravyaguna Vijnana. Vol. II, Chaukhambha Bharti Academy, Varanasi, 2003, 449.