^Back To Top
1Priyanka Shivanand. Mds Post Graduate, 2Vandana Kv. Mds Professor, 3Shobha Prakash. Mds
1,2,3Department of Periodontics, College Of Dental Sciences, Davangere-577 004
Corresponding Author:Dr. Priyanka Shivanand
Department(S) And Institution(S) :Department Of Periodontics. College Of Dental Sciences, Davangere
Address: room no 4, Department of Periodontics, College of dental sciences, Davangere-577004
Gumtone™(Acacia arabica), a polyherbal gel, has found to be effective as an antiplaque and antibacterial agent for gingivitis however its effect against periodontal pathogens is not known which causes periodontal diseases. The study was conducted to determine the antimicrobial activity of Gumtone™(Acacia arabica) against the periodontal pathogens.
The inhibitory effect and the time-kill curve of Acacia Arabica gel (Gumtone™)on Aggregatib -acteractinomycetemcomitans (Aa), Porphyromonasgingivalis(Pg) and Prevotellainter media (Pi) was evaluated. The inhibitory and growth time kill curve were determined using serial dilution methods at 0, 2, 4, 6 and 24hrs.The Gumtone™ showed bacteriostatic and bactericidal activity against the Aaand Pg with minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) at 0.8 µl/ml, 0.4µl/ml respectively, better bactericidal against Pg.The study shows that Gumtone™has antimicrobial activity against periodontal pathogens like P. gingivalis, A. actinomycetemcomitans,and this raises the possibility that Gumtone™may have therapeutic use for periodontitis in clinical practice.
1. Pradeep, A.R., Agarwal, E., Bajaj, P., Naik, S.B., Shanbhag, N. and Uma, S.R., 2012. Clinical and microbiologic effects of commercially available gel and powder containing Acacia arabica on gingivitis. Aust Dent J. 2012 Sep;57(3):312-8.
2. Dodwad, D., Vaish, S., Mahajan, A. and Chhokra, M. Local drug delivery in periodontics: a strategic intervention. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2012;4(4):30-4.
3. Kumar, G., Jalaluddin, M., Rout, P., Mohanty, R. and Dileep, C.L., 2013. Emerging trends of herbal care in dentistry. J ClinDiagn Res. 2013 Aug;7(8):1827-9.
4. Clark, D.T., Gazi, M.I., Cox, S.W., Eley, B.M. and Tinsley, G.F., 1993. The effects of Acacia arabica gum on the in vitro growth and protease activities of periodontopathic bacteria. Journal of clinical periodontology, 20(4), pp.238-243.
5. Antimicrobial susceptibility testing protocols. Schwalve, Moore and Goodwin, Crc Press 2007.
6. Jorgensen MG, Slots J. The ins and outs of periodontal antimicrobial therapy. J Calif Dent Assoc 2002;30:297-305.