^Back To Top
1Dr.Suman lata and 2Dr.Rudrambika S.Biradar
1,2Deptt.of Rasashastra ,B.M.J.Ayurvedic Medical College, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences,Karnataka
Physico-chemical analysis provides the objective parameters to fix up the standards for quality of raw drugs as well as finished products. In the present study,Praval Mool is used as a Raw material to form Praval Bhasma. Praval (Coral) is the calcareous skeleton of the minute marine organism called Anthezoa polypus and belongs to phylum coelenterate.It is a natural source of rich calcium widely used in Amlapitta, Yakshma,Kasa, Netra Roga and Hridaya Roga and Ca deficiency diseases etc. it is administered in the form of Bhasma and Pisti. Moreover, in the market, it is available in two forms viz. Pravala shakha and Pravala moola. As in the market, moola is cheaper than shakha and has higher % of Calcium, shakha can be replaced by moola. Both are used for medicinal purposes. Shodhan of Praval is done in Sarjka kshara.The Pravala bhasma is prepared by triturating it with Godugdha and subjected to puta. The analytical procedures is carried out vide infra in two major headings incorporating physico-chemical tests like Total Ash, Acid Insoluble Ash, Loss on Drying, Particle Size, and advanced instrumental technics like XRD and XRF.
1.Yadavji. T:1998. Rasamritam DJ and GP. First Edition, Chaukhambha Sanskrit Bhawan,Varanasi .
2. Kaushal Arushi1 and Arora Ravinder International journal A comparative analytical study of Pravala bhasma and Pisti w.s.r. to Moola and Shakha
3. Agnivesh.1994:Charaka Samhita”, Chaukhmba orientalia.,Varanasi, Chikitsa Sthan – 1-1/58 .
4. Sadanand .1979 :Rasa Tarangini”, Motilal Banarasi Das., Varanasi, 23/139-141.
5. Sharma S. Rasatarangini. Varanasi: Motilal Banarsi Das.1979: 45-51. Indian.
6. Galib, Kar AC, Narayana A. Standardization of bhasmas need of the hour. J Ayurveda. 2008; 2: 27-33.
7. Mishra, LC, 2004: Scientific Bases for Ayurvedic Therapies. CRC Press, Washington DC, USA: pp 83-100.
8. Shastri Kashinath.editor. Rasatarangini of Sharma Sandnand .11th ed.New Delhi:Motilal publication;1979.p.627.
9. Tripathi YB. A multidisciplinary approach to standardize bhasmas (Ayurvedic metallic preparations). Curr Sci. 2006;90(7): 897-898.
10.Bhojashettar S, Jadar PG, Rao VN. Pharmaceutical study of Yashadabhasma. Anc Sci Life. 2012; 31(3): 90-94.
11). Gokhale S.B, Dr. C.K. Kokkate, A.P Purohit. A Text book of Pharmacognosy, 14th
edition, Delhi, Nirali Prakashan, 2002, 1st Chapter, 58- 60pp.
12). Annonymous. The Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India, 1st edition, New Delhi, Govt of India, Dept of Ayush, 2006, Part I, Vol 4, 213pp.
13). S.B. Gokhale, Dr. C.K. Kokkate, A.P Purohit, A Text book of Pharmacognosy, 14th edition, Delhi, Nirali Prakashan, 2002, 1st Chapter, 56pp.
14). Dr.K.Rama Chandra Reddy –Ocean of Ayurvedic Pharmaceutics,Chapter 29
Standardisation,First edition,Chaukhambha publication Pg.702.
16). S.Mahesh .Biotechnology-3including molecular biology, bio physics. new age international publishers, Delhi, part B, 9th chapter 282-284 pp.
17). Turner.R.A. analgesic in screening method cited in pharmacology edition turner or academic press London, New York, 1952, 110-117 pp.