^Back To Top
Dr. Rajesh Gupta, Dr. Lalita Meena
Head, Dept. of Shalya Tantra
University College of Ayurveda
Dr. Sarvepalli RadhaKrishnan Rajasthan Ayurved University, Jodhpur
Scholar MS (Shalyatantra)1st Year
University College of Ayurved
Dr. Sarvepalli RadhaKrashinan Rajasthan Ayurved University, Jodhpur
Parikartika resembles fissure‑in‑ano which is very common among all ano‑rectal disorders. In Ayurvedic texts, Parikartika is described as a complication of Atisara and Virechana karma. Ksharasutra was proved successful in the management of fistula‑in‑ano, piles, and there is a need to try its efficacy in fissure‑in‑ano. This Study was conducted to evaluate the role of Apamarga Ksharasutra Stitching (AKSS) in fissure bed in chronic fissure‑in‑ano. 120 patients of chronic fissure‑in‑ano were selected and randomly divided into two groups (60 in each group). In group‑A, patients were treated with AKSS; while the patients of Group‑B with Anal dilatation followed by AKSS under pudendal block anesthesia. The AKSS was done once and after slough out of Ksharasutra, the wound was treated for 4 weeks and assessment of the result was done on the basis of gradation adopted. The pain relief on 14th day in Group‑A was 86% while in Group‑B 100% was observed. As on 7th day in Group‑A, oozing was stopped in 68% patients, while in Group‑B, oozing was stopped in 82% patients. On 21st day, Group‑B showed more healing (85%) as compared to Group‑A (69%). In this study 68% of patients were cured. In Group‑B (AKSS with anal dilatation) patients were cured early as compared to patients of Group‑A (AKSS alone).
1. Sushruta, Sushruta Samhita, Chikitsa Sthana, Vamana‑Virechan Vyapada Adhyaya, 34/37, edited by Shastri A, 12th ed. Chowkhambha Surabharati Sanshtan, Varanasi, 2001; 147.
2. Bhuyan C, Dudhamal TS, Gupta SK. A new technique for the treatment of Jeerna Parikartika w.s.r. to chronic fissure‑in‑ano. Indian J Anc Med Yoga 2010;3:133‑40.
3. Sharma KR, Sharma SK, Deshpande PJ. Conservative treatment of fissure‑in‑ano. Nagarjuna 1973;XVI: 56‑8.
4. Bhuyan C, Dudhamal TS, Gupta SK, Jaiswara S. Effect of Ksharakarma in Parikartika (acute fissure‑in‑ano). Indian J Anc Med Yoga 2009;2:65‑75
5. Goligher J. Fissure in ano. Surgery of the Anus Rectum and Colon. 5th ed. Delhi: A.I.T.B.S. Publishers and Distributors; 2002. pp. 150.
6. Vriddha Jivaka, Kashyapa Samhita, Khila Sthana, Antarvatni Adhaya, 10/102. edited by Tiwari PV, reprint ed. Chaukhambha Vishvabharati, Varanasi, 2008; 565.
7. Das S. Chronic fissure‑in‑ano. A Concise Textbook of Surgery. 6th ed. Kolkata: Dr. S. Das Publication; 2010. pp. 967.
8. Vagbhata, Astanga Hridayam, Nidansthana, Udaranidana Adhyaya, 12/1, edited by Shastri K, 1st ed. Krishnadas Academy, Varanasi, 1994; 133.
9. Williams NS, Bulstrode CJK, OConnell PR. Chronic fissure in ano. Baily and Love’s Short Practice of Surgery. 25th ed. Boca Raton: UK Hodder Arnold Part of Hachette; 2008. pp. 1252.
10. Goligher J. Fissure in ano. Surgery of the Anus Rectum and Colon. 5th ed. Delhi: A.I.T.B.S. Publishers and Distributors; 2002. pp. 158.
11. Jonas M, Scholefield JH. Anal fissure. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 2001;30:167‑81.
12. Anonymous. Ksharasutra (Medicated thread). Ayurvedic Pharmacopia of India. 1st ed., Part‑II. Vol. II., New Delhi: Dept. of AYUSH, Govt. of India; 2001. pp. 209‑13.
13. Sushruta, Sushruta Samhita, Sutra Sthana, Ksharapakavidhi Adhyaya, 11/3, edited by Shastri A, 12th ed. Chowkhambha Surabharati Sanshtan, Varanasi, 2001; 34.
14. Ibidem, Sushruta Samhita, Sutra Sthana, Ksharapakavidhi Adhyaya, 11/5; 34.
15. Rasik AM, Shukla A, Patnaik GK, Dhawan BN, Kulshrestha BK, Srivastava S. Wound healing activity of the latex of Euphorbia nerifolia Linn. Indian J Pharmacol 1996;28:107‑9.
16. Negi PS, Jayaprakasha GK, Jagan Mohan Rao L, Sakariah KK. Antibacterial activity of turmeric oil: A byproduct from curcumin manufacture. J Agric Food Chem 1999;47:4297‑300.
17. Synopsis of turmeric’s healing properties.(n.d.). Available from: http:// www.turmeric.co.in/turmeric_ayurvedic_use.htm. [Last accessed on 2012 Jan 12].
18. Bhuyan C. Malasaya Roga Chikitsa Vignyan (Anubhuta Yoga). 1st ed. Puri: Indian Proctology Society; 1998. p. 38.
19. Jensen SL. Treatment of first episodes of acute anal fissure: Prospective randomised study of lignocaine ointment versus hydrocortisone ointment or warm sitz baths plus bran. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1986 3;292:1167‑9.
20. Shri Krishnarams Bhatta, Sidhabhaishaja Manimala, Chturtha guchha, Udavarta Chikitsa 7, edited by Kaladhar Bhatt R, 2nd ed. Chowkhamba Krishnadas Academy, Varanasi, 1999; 257.
21. Panda AK, Debnath SK. Overdose effect of aconite containing Ayurvedic Medicine (‘Mahashankha Vati’). Int J Ayurveda Res 2010;1:183‑6.
22. Dorababu M, Prabha T, Priyambada S, Agrawal VK, Aryya NC, Goel RK. Effect of Bacopa monniera and Azadirachta indica on gastric ulceration and healing in experimental NIDDM rats. Indian J Exp Biol 2004;42:389‑97.
23. Pai MR, Acharya LD, Udupa KN. Evaluation of antiplaque activity of Azadirachta indica leaf extract gel – A 6‑week clinical study. J Ethnopharmacol 2004;90:99‑103.
24. Biswas K, Chattopadhyay I, Banerjee RK, Bandyopadhyay U. Biological activities and medicinal properties of Neem (Azadirachta indica). Curr Sci 2002;82:1336‑45.